Sunday, November 9, 2008

Topic of Inquiry Question

Topic of Inquiry Project:

As a future teacher what types of strategies can I implement to address students at various learning levels?

As a future physical education and health teacher, I would like to reach all students at different learning levels within my classroom. I feel that with the increasing number of ESL, ELL, and special education students, many are now mainstreamed to regular classrooms like gym and health. Keeping this in mind, I would like to meet the needs of all students in the classroom. I feel that helping students become efficient learners will encourage them to reach their goals and feel good about themselves. As a physical education and health teacher I will explain the lesson to the class and then demonstrate the lesson. For example: Dribbling the ball down the court. I expect that some modifications will be made to the students who are physically challenged.


I will use the classroom data and internet sites to gather information on my topic. During my observation, field experience, and community service I will take notes and ask questions. I feel that The No Child Left Behind Act will aide towards helping me understanding the expectations of these students.


While planning my lesson plans I will refer to the Portrait of a Teacher as an additional resource for my project. Since students learn in different ways, I will incorporate in my inquiry project the three basic learning styles which are as follows:
∙ Visual – a learner who benefits from observing a teacher, video, chart, graphs, etc.
∙ Kinesthetic – a learner who likes to move around while learning, for my gym classes this

applies. They usual like hands on activities.
∙ Auditory – are learners who use their sense of hearing to process information.


Here are a few interview questions that I will gather from my field experience, which will help me answer my topic inquiry question. How many students are mainstreamed into your classroom? Do you feel that these students need extra attention? Does your lesson plan address their learning needs and individualized education program (IEP) if applicable? What kind of modifications do you bring to these students? Do you use a peer buddy system while working with students who are challenged? How does the class interact with these students?


Below is a draft of a data chart which, I plan on using during my field experience visits:


Inquiry Question:

As a future teacher what types of strategies can I implement to address students at various learning levels?

Question: Observation: Response:


Number of students in class?


As PE/H teacher how many classes to you have and at what grades levels?


Are there any physically challenges students? Special education, ESL, ELL, etc.


What kinds of modification due these students receive?


Do you feel that these students need extra attention?


Does your lesson plan address their learning needs? If so, what kinds of modification are implemented?


Do you use peer buddies to work with them?


How does the class interact with these students?


How do you foster acceptance and teamwork to your students?


Do you grade these students differently than your mainstreamed students?


Are you expectations different from other students?


Do these students have personal aides to help them during their transition?


What PE equipment do you feel is off limits to students who have deficient motor skills?


























































No comments: